Cutting-edge, robot-enhanced, precision surgical techniques
At GPHW, we offer DaVinci robotic surgical techniques for gynecologic interventions, resulting in better patient outcomes and faster recovery times, following surgical procedures.
DaVinci Surgical Suite – How Does it Work?
The DaVinci surgical suite includes a console attached to 3 robotic arms. It is an integrated system of hardware: 3 robotic arms, ending with various appropriate laparoscopic instruments and software: computer that translates a human surgeon’s hand movements through control sticks, into precise movements of the robotic laparoscopic instruments, which operates under the constant control of a surgeon/operator, who sits at the console watching a high-definition video feed while operating the pertinent movements.
What to expect for a robotics assisted surgery?
DaVinci robotic surgical process for procedures:
- After the patient is sedated and asleep, small, laparoscopic ports (8 mm access holes) are placed in the patient’s abdomen. This is also the first step in traditional laparoscopic procedures
- The DaVinci surgical cart is attached to the ports, via sleeves, so that the highly specialized, tiny, robotic set of laparoscopic instruments are inserted into the abdomen ports.
- The human surgeon controls all aspects of the surgery using a console located next to the patient. The surgeon directs the robotic instruments in surgical tasks and for their part, the robotic tools allow surgeons precision of movement and dexterity.
- The suite of DaVinci robotic surgical tools are designed to function like a human wrist that can rotate, flex, bend and render meticulous operations inside the body.
- These movements are translated by the console and then distilled to the instruments into a precisely controlled surgical routine, implemented by the surgeon/operator (who has complete control of the instruments) at every step of the way.
Why choose a medical facility with the capability of utilizing DaVinci robotic surgical assistance with gynecological procedures?
Benefits of DaVinci laparoscopic robotic surgical assistance
- Faster recovery (less damage to tissues, muscle and nerve due to the precision of robotic instruments)
- Less pain and inflammation in the (smaller) surgical site
- Less blood loss and subsequent transfusion needs are minimized
- Shorter hospital stays
- Easier on the general immune system which undergirds and catalyzes the site specific recovery process
- Scar tissue is less prevalent and aesthetic changes are more minimal than with traditional surgical incision techniques
- Lower risk of infection as surgical site is small
Conditions Treatable with DaVinci Robotic Surgery
- Ovarian cysts
- Hysterectomy (with or without ovary removal)
- Pelvic adhesive disease
- Pelvic prolapse
- Myomectomy (fibroid removal)
Not all gynecological conditions are subject to robotic assisted, laparoscopic treatment. Call GPHW today and schedule an appointment with your gynecologist to find out if laparoscopic treatment is an option for your condition.